Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Body Builders Are Actually Chemists



·         Whey Protein? 3-Aminopropionic acid?? Biosynthesis of glutathione!? Muscle metabolization for anti-catabloic effects?!?! Excuse me while I take off my lab coat and safety goggles and join you at the squat deck so I can explain.  Gym-people love workout supplements. They love talking about supplements and ingredients and flavors and mixing techniques and whether or not they get gas from it.  I have never felt more like a chemist, than when I am in the middle of a supplement conversation.  

His favorite flavor is RAWWWW-BERRY
Workout supplements vary from pre-workout energy boosters to after workout muscle repair and there are hundreds upon hundreds of supplements for almost any fitness desire.  And the big boys at my gym have capitalized on the industry. Actually, the owner of my gym has his OWN LINE of supplements.  However, there is one thing about all these boosters that they have in common.  They all taste like chalk. Sure....you can buy "chocolate" or "watermelon" but you can never get it to taste right - which - is the biggest complaint of any gym-person.  This is the most common thing I see:

Yum Yum Yum this gon  be soooo good.  It's got my boostie-boosts that are gonna make me sooooooo big. Samantha from Accounting...eat your heart out. 



  
This is what IMMEDIATELY happens next




Sorry Samantha from Accounting, excuse me while my I go in to cardiac arrest.

All the while, I just sit back and think of how all of these guys go through hell to buy, make, and drink these powder potions to get an extra kick in their workout.  And while I think all of this, I trip over my own feet on the treadmill and try to make it look like I'm incorporating tricep dips in to my treadmill walk-a-thon (because that's what "gym-people" do...I think). And the next time I hear my fellow gym goers talk about the effects of glycogen depletion or carbohydrate timing, I just think of this:
 




No comments:

Post a Comment